We are looking specifically for someone with experience in education in the refugee context in Greece, who is from Greece.
Action for Education is an independent, grassroots organization founded in the UK and Greece in 2018. We develop and support projects that aim to remove the barriers to education for displaced communities. Since July 2019, we’ve been implementing a non-formal education and safe-space oriented programme in cooperation with our partner organisation, METAdrasi, for 14 -18 year-old asylum seekers living in Vial Camp, Chios. This is an emergency response to the desperate conditions experienced by refugees on Chios – a critical bottleneck on the road of flight to Europe.
AfE pursues several goals with this project: firstly, access to education. Our classes help students develop and maintain language and concentration as well as practical and cognitive skills through curricula of English, mathematics and further language learning. Our second priority is psycho-social support, brought about by project-based learning, recreation and communal activities which further resilience, cross-cultural communication, community, fun and both soft and hard-skills.
We also support our participants by providing supplementary nutrition, hygiene packs, acting as a referral point to specialised assistance and working closely with the Mastic Campus team to integrate the students into their programme, where they can access more basic services such as Wifi, showers and a fresh meal.
● Manage a team of 5 volunteers or more, ensuring the programme objectives are met as set out by AFE and METAdrasi.
● Onboard new volunteers into their role as teachers/youth workers, organise professional training and teaching resources for all volunteers.
● Oversee daily operations of recreational areas including maintaining learning resources, safety equipment, cleaning facilities etc.
● Organise and facilitate recreational activities e.g. games, physical fitness events, arts and crafts, and musical instruction.
● Organise and select appropriate learning materials and resources (e.g. context/gender sensitivity).
● Take lead in supporting volunteers to plan, prepare, and teach language lessons and create a positive learning environment.
● Lead on the development and implementation of new ideas for the centre and students, in consultation with our partners.
● Uphold all reporting and procedural aspects of the partnership with METAdrasi
● Assist in delivering Child Protection training, Relationship Boundary training and centre onboarding for every new volunteer.
● Facilitate and attend weekly coordination meetings with other coordinators
● Financial management, making sure that activities and costs are documented and justified for present and future accountability.
● Attend relevant education and child protection working groups.
● Facilitate the student registration, attendance and outreach procedures on a weekly basis.
● Assume some organisational responsibilities, in accordance with your interests, experiences and skill sets. Some examples include: fundraising, grant-writing, policy-review, communications etc.
● Be part of a country-wide coordination team and in touch with coordinators across Greece. You will be involved in decision-making processes and the overall organisation’s efficiency, continuous improvement and operations.
● Driving your team to the centre and offering driving assistance to other teams
Requirements, skills and experience:
● You are passionate about education and have a strong professional background in either formal or non-formal education. You enjoy being in a challenging and dynamic working environment.
● Fluent Greek with strong written and verbal English.
● Minimum age: 23
● You have experience working or volunteering in similar contexts with a focus on education, human resources and team management in educational and charity situations - ideally with prior experience working on the Greek islands or mainland.
● Contributing qualities of patience, flexibility and discernment to establish a sustainable and effective programme.
● Experience working with displaced populations in emergency contexts.
● You share our vision of a world in which everyone has equal chances to access and be successful in vocational and academic pathways.
● Strong understanding of humanitarian standards, INEE minimum standards, and child protection principles.
● Strong analytical, problem-solving and planning skills.
● Resourceful and strategic thinking.
● Multi-tasker who performs well under pressure.
● Digital literacy skills.
● Driving licence.
Our offer :
● Salaried position (approx. 650 per month). The contract will be under the Greek Labor Law.
● Subsidised shared accommodation in AFE’s volunteer housing (if required).
● A bursary of €200/quarter to support you in taking time away from work.
● 6 month contract (with a 1 month, 3 month and 6 month review; further extension pending review).
● A chance to work in a unique and driven organisation with an amazing team.
● Expected start date: as soon as possible, ideally May.
To learn more about us please check out our website: www.actionforeducation.org
Application Process : Are you interested? Then apply for this position by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Chios Education Project Coordinator Application”. All applicants must send a cover letter, an updated CV (no longer than 2 pages) and provide two references. All must be in English.
We are aware that currently Greece is in lockdown and you might not have the possibility to access a computer and find support to write your CV and Cover letter. If you need support, please contact email@example.com and we will link you up with a volunteer from Action for Education.
Applications deadline: 05/05/2021